This project was originally designed as an homage to my personal favorite designer and good friend, Benny Yarnell. His work is categorically different from my own, but awe-inspiring nonetheless. I've had the great pleasure of working with Benny in the past, and after seeing a design he had created for a band, I was compelled to put together this piece of work.
I began by creating the background of the image, putting together textures that would coincide nicely with what I had imagined the end result to be. If you cycle through the images in this project, you'll see that the first image is what I used as my texture base.
Once I have a solid foundation to work with, I'm able to manipulate all subsequent imagery so everything fits nicely together. I already had a vision of what this project was going to become, so in this instance, the project came together quite quickly.
The next step was to use a suitable image for the main subject in the piece. The subject that I chose, (shown in the second image in this project) was cut off on the top and bottom of the picture, which meant I was going to be doing a lot of drawing and color matching (which wasn't difficult in this instance since I was going for high contrast, meaning true blacks and whites).
After drawing in a bit of her dress and some hair, shown in the third image in this project, I began searching through pictures of junkyards that would provide some interesting shapes that would later be incorporated into the final image. The image that I ended up settling on, is the fourth image in this project.
After altering the picture and adding it to the subject, I made some final tweaks, adding an image of a crow to the subject's hand as well as a few other embellishments.